Over the past few weeks, I’ve talked a lot about how having a cloud-first strategy is the soon-to-be now of the MSP industry. This may come as news to you, and it may not; it all depends on whether you’ve been paying attention to how the industry has changed.
I’m not just talking about the last few years either. Sure, it’s only recently that the cloud began to really take hold of the MSP world, but to get a truly effective perspective on how the MSP industry has changed, you have to go further back, all the way to Break/Fix.
A hallmark of the pre-MSP era, Break/Fix service is the traditional style of outsourced IT services, which worked by fixing the client’s computers once they had broken down. In a nutshell, when something goes wrong — data loss, hardware failure, virus, etc. — the client would then get in touch with their Break/Fix support provider, and have them fix it. While this was the accepted model for IT support at the time some 25 years ago, it didn’t take long for the downsides to become clear.
The costs associated with Break/Fix add up quickly:
- Wasted employee wages during downtime
- Lost revenue and business from customers during downtime
- Unpredictable costs for repair and support, leading to exceeded budgets
Eventually, these issues were enough to prompt a change in the industry, but just as it is now, only those who were paying attention were fast enough to make a change in their business in time.
Enter the MSP 1.0 phase, which was predicated on Managed Services — a set of best practices, processes, and tools that, when combined with technical knowledge and proper facilitation, delivers an ideal result for businesses — which is still seen by many to be the modern model for IT support, offering a range of vital solutions to the client’s business all for one monthly rate.
The key to the change from Break/Fix to Managed Services was the introduction of Remote Monitoring and Management (RMM) tools, which allowed providers to stop issues before they occurred by watching over a client’s IT systems remotely. This shift was significant in two ways:
- It made support proactive instead of reactive, vastly limiting the usual downtime associated with IT issues
- It allowed MSPs to rely on a many to one model, wherein one of their technicians could simultaneously service numerous clients thanks to RMM.
However, it wasn’t long until MSP 2.0 came around, taking advantage of automation in order to further scale the many to one ratio, as well as implementing Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software, all of which allowed MSPs to offer a comprehensive suite of solutions to their clients.
Now you may be thinking that as of MSP 2.0, so we are officially up to date, but I beg to differ. The MSP industry is currently undergoing another major shift, and if MSPs such as yours can’t keep up, you’ll be left behind like the Break/Fix shops that didn’t adopt RMM in time.
It’s all about seeing where the industry is headed: the cloud. With the right partner, you can start offering a cloud-first strategy to your clients before your competitors do.
Allow us to help. CloudJumper is proud to offer our Workspace as a Service (WaaS) solution, Cloud Workspace®, which offers a number of benefits:
- Reduced Support Complexity | CloudJumper will handle all support requests Level 2 and above, leaving your team to handle simple things like password resets.
- Simplified Staff | By focusing directly on the cloud, you will be able to greatly reduce your staff, saving a considerable amount in wages for engineers and technicians alone.
- Accelerated Transition | Whereas independently it could take anywhere from six months to a year to make the change to a cloud-first strategy, with CloudJumper’s technical assistance, ease of use, and marketing and sales support, the transition can happen much quicker.
It’s really that simple. Whereas long ago a business like yours would’ve been seen by customers as a vendor at most, in today’s IT industry your clients have to see you as a partner – that’s why you need to do what’s best for them and you, and ensure your MSP keeps up with how the industry is changing.
If you don’t, it’s only a matter of time until your competitors do. As they develop cloud-first service offerings, their costs will plummet while their ability to service more and more clients continues to improve – how long do you think it will take for your clients to go with another provider? If you can’t give your clients what they want, eventually they’ll find someone who can.
Don’t get left behind while the MSP industry evolves around you – implement a cloud-first strategy with the CloudJumper team right away by contacting us at email@example.com or (844) 645-6789. Follow us on social media: Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn